Installing a smart lock is a fantastic way to improve your home or office security and more convenient. When you have a smart lock, you can lock and unlock the door using a smartphone, by speaking out loud, or even by using the fingerprint. This is super handy, especially when your hands are full or if you’re returning home late at night.
The smart lock installation process is relatively simple, and most smart locks come with detailed instructions. However, there are a few important things you should know before you start the smart lock installation process.
Steps of How to Install a Smart Lock
Installing a smart lock is a very simple but little bit technical procedure. Here’s a simplified guide to help you through the process:
Before the installation process, let’s get all the necessary tools and components:
- Smart lock (included accessories)
- Smartphone or tablet with the relevant smart lock app installed (e.g., Eufy Security and Google Home apps)
- Network login information
Note: These specific steps are depending on the smart lock model and the devices you’re using.
Step 1: Charge the Battery
The first step in installing a smart lock is charging the smart lock’s battery. You’ll need to remove the battery from the lock and charge it using the provided USB cable.
Step 2: Removing the Existing Lock
The second step in the process is to remove the existing lock. Here’s what you’ll need to do:
- Apply painter’s tape over the key mechanism
- Remove the thumb turn
- Remove the key mechanism
- Remove the deadbolt
Step 3: Installing the Smart Lock
With the old lock removed, it’s time to install the smart lock. Follow these steps:
- Take the deadbolt and slide it into the door, making sure that the word “top” is facing upward.
- Use the screws provided to secure the deadbolt to the doorframe.
- If needed, install the included strike plate.
- Slide the outside unit of the smart lock into place, and make sure to route the cable under the deadbolt. To secure the outside unit in place use painter’s tape.
- Align the mounting plate and pass the cable through the hole.
- Attach the mounting plate to the doorframe, making sure that the screws go through the deadbolt and the mounting plate.
- Remove the battery cover, connect the cable, and align the tailpiece with the key cylinder.
- Attach the interior assembly to the mounting plate. Check that it moves smoothly by using the thumb turn.
- Install the plug to cover the bottom screw hole, and insert the fully charged battery.
Congratulations! The difficult part is now done, and the smart lock is officially installed.
Step 4: Configuring the Smart Lock
In this guide we use eufy security app for configuring the smart lock:
- Open the “eufy Security app” on your smartphone.
- Tap on “Add Device” in the app.
- From the options, select “Smart Lock Touch and Wi-Fi“.
- Now give the permission to the app to access the device’s camera.
- Scan “QR code”.
- Press and hold the “setup button” on the smart lock until you hear a beep.
- When prompted “Confirm” that you heard the voice prompt and proceed.
- The app might request access to your device’s GPS. Grant, it accesses.
You’ve successfully configured your smart lock using the Eufy Security app.